35+ Years Criminal Defense Experience in California


Public Intoxication/Drunk in Public Charge FAQs – California Penal Code 647(f)

If you or a loved one have are facing a public intoxication/drunk in public charge, you are facing some serious punishment. It is crucial for you to understand the importance of hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you in this matter, as the effects of such a crime could be damaging to your life and to your future. To help you understand the various aspects of a drunk in public charge under PC 647(f)1, our attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have provided answers to some of the most commonly asked questions.

Will I be prosecuted if I am drunk in public?

Perhaps. The police have the option to detain, rather than arrest you if you’ve had too much to drink and you were out in public. You may be allowed to “sober up” in protective custody for several hours, and then released without being charged with a crime. It all depends on your behavior at the time.

Is a drunk in public charge punishable as a misdemeanor or a felony?

A drunk in public charge is only punishable as a misdemeanor. However, if you commit some other crime while intoxicated, you could face more serious charges.

Can I receive a drunk in public charge if I am in a parked car?

Yes. If you are parked on any public street and you are intoxicated while sitting in your car, the police may arrest you and file a drunk in pubic charge against you. What’s worse, the police may allege you were attempting to drive under the influence, and charge you with the much more serious crime of DUI, depending on the circumstances.

What happens if I am under 21 years old and I am given a drunk in public charge?

You face even greater consequences if you are underage and you are given a drunk in public charge than someone of legal age. In addition to possible jail time, fines, probation and/or community service, the court may also suspend or delay your driving privileges for one year.

Where can I find the best criminal defense lawyer to represent me?

partners 2015 - public intoxication
Contact the attorneys at Wallin & Klarich if you have been charged with drunk in public

If you or someone you care about has been arrested for public intoxication under penal code §647(f), it is imperative that you contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer who is familiar with disorderly conduct cases. With offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, West Covina and Victorville, Wallin & Klarich has successfully represented clients facing drunk in public charges for over 30 years. We have the knowledge and the experience to help you win your case.

Call today at 877-4-NO-JAIL or fill out our confidential form. We will be there when you call.

1. California Penal Code Section 647: http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/647.html

Was This Article Helpful? Please Share it.

Contact Us

Get Help Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, now is the time to contact us.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Related Testimonials


    I would like to sincerely thank you for helping me with obtaining my Certificate of Rehabilitation. I now realize the importance of obtaining a law firm that has years of experience in criminal law. The way the package was organized and presented to the presiding judge was very impressive to me. The person that tried … Continue reading “Certificate of Rehabilitation and Governor’s Pardon Testimonials”

    View All

    My brother was convicted of second degree murder in Los Angeles County. He was sentenced to 16 years to life in state prison. I hired Stephen Klarich from the law firm of Wallin and Klarich to work on his appeal. Our family was very worried and fearful he would spend the rest of his life … Continue reading “PC 1237 | Appeals Testimonials”

    View All

    ARSON: “My husband and I received a shock recently when our son was arrested for starting a fire at a state park. But our shock turned into horror when he was charged with felony arson. We immediately hired the Law Firm of Wallin & Klarich. After a review of the evidence, Wallin & Klarich had … Continue reading “Client Testimonials: Arson”

    View All

Contact Us Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Get In Touch
Contact Info
17592 Irvine Blvd. Tustin, CA 92780 (714) 730-5300

Los Angeles County

Los Angeles | Long Beach | Glendale | Santa Clarita | Lancaster | Palmdale | Pomona | Torrance | Pasadena | West Covina | Carson | Santa Monica | Whittier | Lakewood | Redondo Beach | Arcadia | Diamond Bar | Glendora | Cerritos | La Mirada | Rancho Palos Verdes | Culver City | Manhattan Beach | Claremont | Beverly Hills | San Dimas | Walnut | Calabasas | Hermosa Beach | El Segundo | Palos Verdes Estates | Malibu

Orange County

Santa Ana | Anaheim | Irvine | Huntington Beach | Garden Grove | Orange | Fullerton | Costa Mesa | Mission Viejo | Westminster | Newport Beach | Buena Park | Lake Forest | Tustin | Yorba Linda | San Clemente | Laguna Niguel | La Habra | Fountain Valley | Anaheim Hills | Placentia | Rancho Santa Margarita | Aliso Viejo | Cypress | Brea | Stanton | San Juan Capistrano | Dana Point | Laguna Hills | North Tustin | Seal Beach | Ladera Ranch | Laguna Beach | Laguna Woods | La Palma | Coto de Caza | Los Alamitos | Rossmoor | Midway City | Las Flores | Villa Park

Riverside County

Riverside | Moreno Valley | Corona | Temecula | Murrieta | Jurupa Valley | Indio | Hemet | Menifee | Perris | Eastvale | Cathedral City | Palm Desert | Lake Elsinore | Palm Springs | La Quinta | Coachella | San Jacinto | Beaumont | Wildomar | Banning | Norco | Desert Hot Springs | Blythe | Rancho Mirage | Canyon Lake | Calimesa | Indian Wells

San Bernardino County

San Bernardino | Fontana | Rancho Cucamonga | Ontario | Victorville | Rialto | Hesperia | Chino | Chino Hills | Upland | Apple Valley | Redlands | Highland | Colton | Yucaipa | Montclair | Adelanto | Twentynine Palms | Loma Linda | Barstow | Yucca Valley | Grand Terrace | Big Bear Lake | Needles

San Diego

San Diego | Oceanside | Escondido | Carlsbad | Vista | San Marcos | Encinitas | Solana Beach | El Cajon | Santee | Poway | La Mesa | Del Mar


Oxnard | Thousand Oaks | Simi Valley | Ventura | Camarillo | Moorpark | Santa Paula | Port Hueneme | Fillmore | Ojai

Copyright © 2021 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved
California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.