35+ Years Criminal Defense Experience in California


California Expungement Attorneys: Cleaning Up Your Criminal Record

Do You Need a California Expungement Attorney?

We understand that having a California criminal record can be overbearing on many aspects of your life. You shouldn’t have to continue to pay for the mistakes you made in the past. This is why you need an expungement attorney to help you clean up your criminal record. Cleaning up your criminal record can release a heavy weight from your shoulders in order to help you reach your goals.

In order to clear your record, you will need to hire an experienced expungement attorney in this field. At Wallin and Klarich, our attorneys have over 30 years of experience handling criminal record expungement for those who have been previously convicted.

Call us today at (877) 466-5245 to receive expert legal advice about your case. Read on to learn more about expungements and other methods for cleaning up your record.

Why Hire Wallin & Klarich?

The success of our expungement firm has helped us achieve the highest of merits, including a 5 out of 5 AV rating on Lawyers.com, a 10 out of 10 rating on AVVO.com, and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.

For over 30 years, the expungment lawyers at Wallin & Klarich have helped many people like you need to clear their criminal record. Here are just a few testimonials provided by some of our previous clients who wanted to share their stories:

“I was placed on 3 years probation out of Whittier Court. I needed to terminate probation early and have my case expunged before my work found out about it. I hired an attorney from Wallin & Klarich and he was able to terminate my probation early and my case expunged. Thanks again Wallin & Klarich!”


“I was charged and convicted of a serious felony years ago.  After the conviction, I turned my life around.  I found that the conviction on my record was preventing me from seizing opportunities that came my way.

I contacted Wallin & Klarich, and met with an attorney. We went over the circumstances of my conviction, and all the progress I made thereafter.  We then filed all appropriate motions and my attorney with me in court. Thanks to my Wallin & Klarich attorney’s exceptional representation, the judge reduced my conviction to a misdemeanor and expunged my record. Despite the district attorney’s objection, the judge granted my request. Thank you for giving me my life back!”


“I hired the law firm of Wallin & Klarich to seek a Governor’s Pardon in California. I was convicted many years ago of a felony and very much wanted to clean my record. I wanted to obtain my right to possess a firearm, which was taken away because of the felony conviction. I am happy to say that Governor Jerry Brown granted my Pardon for me and my wife who was also convicted of a felony. I have Stephen Klarich to thank. I realize that this process was not easy and the Governor only grants a few of the many he receives. I would strongly recommend Wallin & Klarich if you are seeking a Governor’s Pardon or a Certificate of Rehabilitation. They have a lot of experience in this area of law and quite frankly, I could not have done this myself.”

-Edward S.

Call Wallin & Klarich Today

You can place your trust in Wallin & Klarich. Our knowledgeable California expungement lawyers are committed to defending your rights and your freedom. Call us today for immediate help on cleaning up your criminal background.

For more information on California expungements, read below or simply pick up the phone and speak to one of our skilled attorneys today.

Call us today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245 for a free telephone consultation.


The Effects of a Criminal Record on Your Life

Your Employment

A criminal conviction that appears on your record can have long-lasting effects on your life. For example, you will have difficulty finding employment because many employers conduct a background check to determine the extent of your criminal record.

Having a criminal conviction on your record is an immediate “red flag” for employers. Even if the conviction is for a minor offense, your prospective employer may choose not to hire you solely because of a criminal conviction. Although you may never find out why you were not hired for the job you have applied for, , there is a good chance that the “real reason” is due to your prior criminal record.

Your Credit

Your criminal record may also make it difficult for you to obtain a mortgage or credit card. Since mortgage and credit card lenders must assess the trustworthiness of a borrower, they often conduct background checks on their prospective borrowers.  A criminal conviction indicates that you may not be a trustworthy borrower. Lenders are usually cautious when giving a loan to a person with a criminal conviction on his or her record. Therefore, many individuals who have criminal records are denied loans and credit cards.

Your Personal Life

Furthermore, having a criminal record can negatively affect your personal life. Often times, a criminal record will damage an individual’s reputation. You may be shunned or looked down upon by your community because of your conviction. In addition, if you are applying to a university, the admissions office of the university may also conduct a background check and find your criminal record. You may be denied admission to your dream school because of your criminal record.

How to Clean Up Your Southern California Criminal Record

Cleaning up your criminal record
Don’t let criminal background checks prevent you from getting the job you want. An expungement can help with cleaning up your criminal record.

Although a criminal record can have negative consequences, there are several ways that you can seal, destroy, or dismiss a conviction on your criminal record in California. A Wallin & Klarich criminal defense attorney may be able to help you in cleaning up your criminal record so you can move on with your life. Your Wallin & Klarich attorney can advise as to the eligibility requirements to cleaning up your criminal record. Your Wallin and Klarich lawyer can prepare the proper documentation for your case and appear in court on your behalf. Our experienced lawyers are ready to begin to help you with cleaning up your criminal record now.

Here are several ways in which you can clear your criminal record:

Factual Innocence Motion (Penal Code section 851.8)[i]

An individual may petition a court to seal and destroy his or her criminal record if the individual was improperly accused of a criminal offense. You may have been improperly accused of a criminal offense if:

  • You were arrested, but no charges were formally filed;
  • Charges were initially filed against you, but subsequently dismissed; OR
  • Your case went to trial, but you were found not guilty by the court or a jury.

Your Wallin & Klarich criminal defense attorney can help you file a motion of factual innocence. If the motion is successful and the judge determines that you are factually innocent of the charges or accusations made against you, the court will issue an order to seal and destroy your criminal record. This court order will effectively wipe your criminal record clean.

Expungement (Penal Code section 1203.4)[ii]

To be eligible for an expungement in California, you must not have served a state prison sentence. This means that you may be eligible for cleaning up your criminal record through an expungement if you were sentenced to county jail, probation, a fine, or a combination of these sentences. If you were granted probation as a part of your sentence, you must comply with all of your probation terms and successfully complete your probation in order to be eligible for an expungement.

Your Wallin & Klarich California expungement attorney may be able to help you in cleaning up your criminal record and set aside your conviction with an expungement. If the court decides to grant the expungement, you will be allowed to withdraw your previous guilty plea and the judge will dismiss your case. Once your expungement has been granted, you do not have to disclose to a potential employer that you had been convicted of a crime.

However, there are certain offenses where you will not be able to get your record expunged. Some of the offenses where you are not eligible for an expungement include sodomy with a minor, lewd or lascivious acts with a minor, and oral copulation with a minor.

Modification or Termination of your Probation (Penal Code section 1203.3)[iii]

If you are currently on probation, your Wallin & Klarich expungement attorney may be able request a modification of your probation in order to help you obtain an expungement. Under California Penal Code section 1203.3, the court may revoke, modify, or change the terms of your probation order at any time during the term of probation. This includes the ability to terminate your probation term early.

If you are still serving your probation sentence, you will be unable to obtain an expungement. However, your Wallin & Klarich attorney can request that your probation be terminated early in order to get your record expunged.

Governor’s Pardon (Penal Code section 4800)

Governor Pardon - Cleaning Up your criminal record
Cleaning up your criminal record can be achieved through use of a Governor’s Pardon, which restores certain rights to you that were taken away due to your crime.

Even if you do not qualify for an expungement, we may be able to help you in cleaning up your criminal record by seeking a Governor’s Pardon. (Cal. Penal Code section 1203.4(g)). A Governor’s Pardon is issued by the Governor of the state of California. The pardon will restore certain rights to you that were taken away as a result of your conviction, such as your right to own a gun or your ability to obtain a professional license.

Obtaining a Governor’s Pardon is an important step to cleaning up your criminal record. A Governor’s Pardon will indicate that you have shown excellent behavior following your criminal conviction. However, you will not be eligible for a Governor’s Pardon if you committed the following offenses:

  • Sodomy with a minor under 14 years old and more than 10 years younger than you (Penal Code section 286(c));
  • Lewd or lascivious acts with a minor (Penal Code section 288);
  • Oral copulation with a minor under 14 years old and more than 10 years younger than you (Penal Code section 288a(c));
  • Continuous sexual abuse of a child (Penal Code section 288.5); or
  • Forcible acts of sexual penetration with a minor under 14 years old and more than 10 years younger than you (Penal Code section 289(j)).

Certificate of Rehabilitation (Penal Code section 4852)

A Certificate of Rehabilitation is a court document that declares that you have been rehabilitated following your criminal conviction. Although the Certificate of Rehabilitation does not directly act in cleaning up your criminal record, it indicates that you are ready to become a productive member of society. This can help you obtain a job and secure a professional license.

Your Wallin & Klarich criminal defense attorney can help you petition for a Certificate of Rehabilitation. The court will set a hearing date for your petition, where we can help you argue that the judge should grant you a Certificate of Rehabilitation. If your Certificate of Rehabilitation is granted, the Certificate becomes an automatic application for a Governor’s Pardon.

Reducing Your Felony Charge or Conviction to a Misdemeanor – Penal Code section 17(b)

Your Wallin & Klarich criminal defense attorney may be able to help you reduce your felony conviction to a misdemeanor. Under California Penal Code section 17(b), you may be able to reduce a felony conviction to a misdemeanor if the offense is a “wobbler.” A wobbler is an offense that may be either punished as a felony or a misdemeanor.

Once your felony has been reduced to a misdemeanor, you may be able to get the misdemeanor expunged under California Penal Code section 1203.4.

Sealing Your Juvenile Record (Welfare and Institutions Code section 781)

Your Wallin & Klarich criminal defense attorney may be able to help you in cleaning up your criminal record through a petition to seal your juvenile record. By sealing your juvenile record, you do not have to disclose your juvenile conviction to future employers or lending agencies. If you were required to register as a sex offender pursuant to Penal Code section 290, sealing your juvenile record will relieve you of your duty to register as a sex offender.

To be eligible to seal your juvenile record, you must be at least 18 years old or older or have been off of juvenile probation for at least five years, whichever comes first. Furthermore, you must not have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor offense involving moral turpitude, such as theft, fraud, certain sex offenses, and certain drug-related offenses, to be eligible to seal your juvenile record. If the court believes that you have been rehabilitated, then it will grant your petition to seal your juvenile record, ultimately cleaning up your criminal record.

Wallin & Klarich Can Help You

The attorneys at Wallin & Klarich are ready to help. Call us today.
Call the attorneys at Wallin & Klarich today to discuss your expungement options.

At Wallin & Klarich, we understand that a criminal record can haunt you for the rest of your life. You do not have to let one mistake ruin your life. Our criminal defense attorneys have been successfully helping clients clean up their criminal records for over 30 years. We can help you move forward in your life without the heavy burden of a criminal conviction preventing you from obtaining the job or loan that you want. Let us help you with cleaning up your criminal record by speaking with one of our attorneys today.

With offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Ventura, Victorville, West Covina, San Diego, Torrance and Sherman Oaks., there is an experienced Wallin & Klarich criminal defense available near you no matter where you work or live.

Please call us today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245. We are here to help you.

[i] Information on Penal Code 851.8 retrieved from http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=833-851.90

[ii] Information on Penal Code 1203.4 retrieved from http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=01001-02000&file=1191-1210.5

[iii] Information on Penal Code 1203.3 retrieved from http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/1203.3.html

Was This Article Helpful? Please Share it.

Contact Us Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, now is the time to contact us.

Related Testimonials


    I would like to sincerely thank you for helping me with obtaining my Certificate of Rehabilitation. I now realize the importance of obtaining a law firm that has years of experience in criminal law. The way the package was organized and presented to the presiding judge was very impressive to me. The person that tried … Continue reading “Certificate of Rehabilitation and Governor’s Pardon Testimonials”

    View All

    My brother was convicted of second degree murder in Los Angeles County. He was sentenced to 16 years to life in state prison. I hired Stephen Klarich from the law firm of Wallin and Klarich to work on his appeal. Our family was very worried and fearful he would spend the rest of his life … Continue reading “PC 1237 | Appeals Testimonials”

    View All

    ARSON: “My husband and I received a shock recently when our son was arrested for starting a fire at a state park. But our shock turned into horror when he was charged with felony arson. We immediately hired the Law Firm of Wallin & Klarich. After a review of the evidence, Wallin & Klarich had … Continue reading “Client Testimonials: Arson”

    View All

Contact Us Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.


Get In Touch

Contact Info

17592 Irvine Blvd. Tustin, CA 92780 (714) 730-5300
(877) 466-5245


Los Angeles County

Los Angeles | Long Beach | Glendale | Santa Clarita | Lancaster | Palmdale | Pomona | Torrance | Pasadena | West Covina | Carson | Santa Monica | Whittier | Lakewood | Redondo Beach | Arcadia | Diamond Bar | Glendora | Cerritos | La Mirada | Rancho Palos Verdes | Culver City | Manhattan Beach | Claremont | Beverly Hills | San Dimas | Walnut | Calabasas | Hermosa Beach | El Segundo | Palos Verdes Estates | Malibu

Orange County

Santa Ana | Anaheim | Irvine | Huntington Beach | Garden Grove | Orange | Fullerton | Costa Mesa | Mission Viejo | Westminster | Newport Beach | Buena Park | Lake Forest | Tustin | Yorba Linda | San Clemente | Laguna Niguel | La Habra | Fountain Valley | Anaheim Hills | Placentia | Rancho Santa Margarita | Aliso Viejo | Cypress | Brea | Stanton | San Juan Capistrano | Dana Point | Laguna Hills | North Tustin | Seal Beach | Ladera Ranch | Laguna Beach | Laguna Woods | La Palma | Coto de Caza | Los Alamitos | Rossmoor | Midway City | Las Flores | Villa Park

Riverside County

Riverside | Moreno Valley | Corona | Temecula | Murrieta | Jurupa Valley | Indio | Hemet | Menifee | Perris | Eastvale | Cathedral City | Palm Desert | Lake Elsinore | Palm Springs | La Quinta | Coachella | San Jacinto | Beaumont | Wildomar | Banning | Norco | Desert Hot Springs | Blythe | Rancho Mirage | Canyon Lake | Calimesa | Indian Wells

San Bernardino County

San Bernardino | Fontana | Rancho Cucamonga | Ontario | Victorville | Rialto | Hesperia | Chino | Chino Hills | Upland | Apple Valley | Redlands | Highland | Colton | Yucaipa | Montclair | Adelanto | Twentynine Palms | Loma Linda | Barstow | Yucca Valley | Grand Terrace | Big Bear Lake | Needles

San Diego

San Diego | Oceanside | Escondido | Carlsbad | Vista | San Marcos | Encinitas | Solana Beach | El Cajon | Santee | Poway | La Mesa | Del Mar


Oxnard | Thousand Oaks | Simi Valley | Ventura | Camarillo | Moorpark | Santa Paula | Port Hueneme | Fillmore | Ojai

Copyright © 2016 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved
California DUI Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact a criminal attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California. * Wallin & Klarich Attorney Joshua Visco