California Juvenile Attorney

Do You Need a Juvenile Attorney?

Criminal behavior can begin at a very early age, but because a person is not considered mentally and physically developed until age 18, California has a separate criminal justice system dedicated to the punishment and rehabilitation of juvenile offenders.

At Wallin and Klarich, our juvenile defense attorneys have over 30 years of experience in successfully defending minors charged with juvenile crimes. With offices all throughout Southern California, our juvenile lawyers are familiar with the judges and procedures in each juvenile and adult criminal court.

Call us today at (877) 466-5245 to receive expert legal advice about your case. Be sure to read on to learn more about juvenile laws so that you and your loved one can be fully informed about these charges.

Why Hire Wallin & Klarich?


The success of our juvenile defense firm has helped us achieve the highest of merits, including a 5 out of 5 AV rating on, a 10 out of 10 rating on, and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.

For over 30 years, the juvenile lawyers at Wallin & Klarich have helped many young people who have been charged with various juvenile crimes. Here are just a few testimonials provided by some of our previous clients and their loved ones who wanted to share their stories:

“My son was 17 years old when he admitted to stealing a car and then ran into a house and caused a great deal of damage. He had been living with his mother but the family court file reflected that I had sole physical custody. I had no reason to believe that my son was up to any criminal activity until it was too late. After he admitted in court to the incident, the court wanted to make me liable for over $14,000 worth of damages that my son caused when I didn’t do anything wrong. They said that I am responsible for my son’s actions since he was under 18 years of age. I did not think this was fair so I hired the law offices of Wallin & Klarich. They worked hard on my case and WON! I was found not liable for the damages. By hiring Wallin & Klarich, I saved my self over $13,000.”


“My son was facing a Petition to send my son to the California Youth Authority for 8 years and 8 months for allegedly violating camp rules by getting into two fights and violating gang terms. Our lawyer at Wallin & Klarich was able to get the case dismissed. No deals, no penalties. We could not have asked for a better result.”

-N. A.

“Within 24 hours upon retaining the Law Office of Wallin & Klarich, my daughter was released from custody, with only probation time to serve. The Law Office of Wallin & Klarich are the best juvenile lawyers in all of San Bernardino County. Don’t take a chance with any other, it will only cost you more in the long run.”

-T. C.

Call Wallin & Klarich Today

You can place your trust in Wallin & Klarich. Our knowledgeable California juvenile lawyers are committed to defending your rights and your freedom. Call us today for immediate help on your juvenile case.

For more information on juvenile laws, read below or simply pick up the phone and speak to one of our skilled juvenile attorneys today.

Call us today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245 for a free telephone consultation.

Categories of Juvenile Crimes

There are three types juvenile cases that a minor may be involved in. These include:

  • Status offenses;
  • Delinquency offenses; and
  • Juvenile being tried as an adult

Juvenile Status Offenses

Status offenses are acts that would be otherwise legal if committed by an adult. These can be minor offenses like truancy from school or violation of curfew, or can be more serious offenses that are specifically illegal by virtue of the person’s status as a minor.

For example, in California, a juvenile is generally prohibited from possessing alcoholic beverages (California Business and Professions Code section 25622) or from driving with a 0.01% blood alcohol level (California Vehicle Code section 23136) until he or she reaches the age of 21.

Juvenile Delinquency Offenses

Juvenile court system - delinquency
In the California juvenile court system, a delinquency offense is any act that would be a crime regardless of the age of the person who committed it.

A delinquency offense is any act that would be a crime regardless of the age of the person who committed it. For example, if a juvenile commits an act of vandalism (California Penal Code section 594), the crime can be charged as a delinquency offense.

A delinquency or status offense case will proceed through three primary stages:

  1. the detention hearing;
  2. the jurisdictional hearing; and
  3. the disposition hearing.

The detention hearing takes place if the defendant is being held in juvenile hall. Similar to the preliminary hearing in an adult criminal case,a defendant in juvenile court may enter a plea of guilty or not guilty during this hearing. The judge may decide to keep him or her in custody, or release the juvenile in the custody of the parents or legal guardian if the judge determines the minor is not a serious risk to the community.

The jurisdictional hearing is essentially a trial, but it differs from a typical criminal case in that a minor facing a criminal charge in juvenile court does not have a constitutional right to a jury trial. Instead, the case is tried and decided by a juvenile court judge in a bench trial. During this hearing, the prosecutor must prove that the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The defendant has an opportunity to defend himself or herself during this phase, and is entitled to have a defense attorney.

If the juvenile defendant is found guilty, the judge is said to have “sustained the People’s petition,” and the case will proceed to a disposition hearing for determination of a sentence. Typical sentences in juvenile cases involve serving time in juvenile hall, as well as fines. In most cases, the court will hold the parents liable to pay the fines for their child’s conduct.

Trial As an Adult

Under Proposition 21, California law permits a juvenile over the age of 16 to be tried as an adult for any crime under the court’s discretion. Between the ages of 14-16, the juvenile can only be tried as an adult for serious violent or sex-related crimes, such as

  • Murder with special circumstances (if the minor personally killed the victim);
  • Rape with force, violence, or threat of great bodily harm;
  • Spousal rape with force, violence, or threat of great bodily harm;
  • Forcible sex in concert with another;
  • Lewd and lascivious acts on a child under 14 with force, violence, or threat of great bodily injury;
  • Forcible sexual penetration; and
  • Sodomy or oral copulation by force, violence, or threat of great bodily injury.

Before a juvenile can be tried as an adult, the court must make a determination of his or her fitness to stand trial as an adult. The decision will turn on whether the treatment, training, and care programs of the juvenile system would be effective in rehabilitating the minor, and whether the court believes these programs would be able to reasonably deter the minor from future criminal behavior. This involves reviewing multiple factors concerning the case and the defendant’s circumstances, including:

  • The gravity of the offense and the circumstances of the case;
  • The minor’s degree of criminal sophistication;
  • Whether rehabilitation could be achieved prior to the expiration of the juvenile court’s jurisdiction;
  • History of delinquency; and
  • Whether past attempts at rehabilitating the minor by the juvenile court have been effective.

If the court determines that the juvenile must be tried as an adult, the case will be moved into the adult court system, and, if found guilty, the defendant can be punished in the same manner that an adult would be punished for the crime he or she committed.

Penalties for Juvenile Offenses

juvenile court - arrested
Offenders of the juvenile court system face a variety of punishment, such as Juvenile Hall or community service

Assuming the minor is tried in the juvenile system, there are a variety of available punishments for status and delinquency offenses. Unlike with adult offenders, the punishment of these crimes is generally intended to correct the behavior of the offender and teach them to be productive members of society before they reach adulthood. These punishments can include:

  • Probation;
  • Restitution to the victim;
  • Fines;
  • Community service;
  • Time in a correctional facility or Juvenile Hall;
  • Placement in a foster home;
  • Training programs; and
  • Secured detention in the Division of Juvenile Justice (formally California Youth Authority).

Sealing Juvenile Records

Juvenile records can be sealed, which means that the record of a person’s crimes before the age of 18 may be hidden from public records. This prevents the record from being discovered by a background check for employment, and allows an applicant with a juvenile record to deny its existence without penalty. The records of any arrest without a charge or conviction can also be sealed.

The process of sealing a juvenile record is not automatic, and certain types of offenses are ineligible to be sealed, such as murder, arson, robbery, carjacking, many sex offenses, and any other violent felonies. To seal a record, the juvenile must file a petition with the juvenile court in the county he or she was convicted, and meet the following criteria:

  • Be 18 years of age or older;
  • Have no misdemeanor or felony convictions as an adult involving a crime of moral turpitude (dishonest or immoral behavior);
  • Convince a court that he or she is rehabilitated; and
  • Have no pending civil litigation as a result of the juvenile criminal acts.

Frequently Asked Questions on Juvenile Court

At Wallin & Klarich, we commonly receive questions from clients regarding the juvenile court system. Some of these include:

  1. My child was cited for breaking curfew. Will he or she have a criminal record?

Curfew laws are different from city to city, but the likelihood is that a status offense will show up on his or her criminal record. The good news is that it is an offense that is eligible to be sealed. You can contact an experienced juvenile law defense attorney who can guide you and your child through the process of sealing his or her juvenile record.

  1. Can truancy affect my ability to have a driver’s license?

Yes. If you are declared a “habitual truant” (i.e., you were caught ditching school three or more times in one school year), California law permits the DMV to suspend your driver’s license for one year.  You should consult with an experienced juvenile defense attorney to build a case to the DMV that will help you avoid losing your driving privileges.

  1. Are juvenile crimes considered strikes under California’s Three Strikes Law?

Depending on the crime, an offense committed as a juvenile can be a strike under the Three Strikes Law. For example, the Three Strikes Law includes felonies where a “gang enhancement” penalty is available. If a juvenile offender is convicted of an offense where this gang enhancement can be added to the sentence, the offense will be available as a strike should he or she commit a later crime.

Contact the Juvenile Defense Attorneys at Wallin & Klarich Today

partners 2015 - juvenile court
Contact the attorneys at Wallin & Klarich today if you or a loved one are facing prosecution in the juvenile court system.

Juvenile offenses can have serious, long-lasting consequences, and if you or your child is being prosecuted in juvenile court, you should consult with an attorney who has experience and skill in juvenile defense. At Wallin & Klarich, our attorneys have over 30 years of experience fighting for the rights of juvenile defendants. Contact us today for a free, no obligation phone consultation.

With offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Ventura, Victorville, West Covina, San Diego, Torrance and Sherman Oaks, there is a Wallin & Klarich attorney experienced in juvenile defense near you, no matter where you work or live.

Call us today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245 for a free phone consultation. We will be there when you call.

  • Contact Us Now

    If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, now is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.