Ending Lifetime Requirement to Register as a Sex Offender California Penal Code 290
How Can I be Relieved from Lifetime Sex Offender Registration
There is a process available to ending lifetime requirement to register as a sex offender in California. Under California Penal Code Section 290.5, a Certificate of Rehabilitation may relieve you of any further duty to register under Section 290 if you are not in custody, on parole, or on probation. However, only certain offenses qualify for relief with a certificate of rehabilitation alone.
You will still be required to register pursuant to Penal Code Section 290 upon obtaining a Certificate of Rehabilitation under Penal Code Section 290.5 for any of the following convictions:
- Kidnapping under Section 207 or 209 committed with the intent to commit:
- Assault under Section 220 (except assault to commit mayhem);
- Rape (PC 261), under paragraph (1), (2), (3), (4), or (6) of subdivision (a);
- Felony enticement of a minor (PC 266);
- Felony sexual intercourse induced by fraud (PC 266c);
- Procurement of child under age 16 for lewd or lascivious acts (PC 266j);
- Abduction of a minor for prostitution (PC 267);
- Aggravated sexual assault of a child (PC 269);
- Felony sexual penetration by force (PC 289);
- The attempted commission of any of the offenses listed above;
- The statutory predecessor of any of the offenses specified above; or
- Any offense which, if committed or attempted in this state, would have been punishable as one or more of the offenses specified above.
For all of the offenses listed above, a Certificate of Rehabilitation acts as an automatic application for a Governor’s pardon. If a Governor’s pardon is granted, you will be relieved of your duty to register. The attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have had excellent success with this process. We have helped many of our clients successfully obtain a Certificate of Rehabilitation.
Please visit our section on Certificate of Rehabilitation and Governor’s Pardon for more information on this process.
For More Information on How to End Duty to Register as a Sex Offender, Call Us Today
You can avoid sex offender registration. At Wallin & Klarich, our attorneys have over 30 years of experience successfully petitioning the courts for a Certificate of Rehabilitation. With offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, West Covina, Victorville, Torrance, and Sherman Oaks, we have been able to help many of our clients obtain relief from the duty to register as a sex offender. If you have already been convicted of a sex crime, you need to contact an attorney at Wallin & Klarich to learn about how you may qualify for a Certificate of Rehabilitation.
Call us today at 1(877) 4-NO-JAIL (1-877-466-5245) for a free telephone consultation.
We will get through this together.