35+ Years Criminal Defense Experience in California


Los Angeles Criminal Appeals Attorney Answers your FAQs

1. Will I remain in custody during my appeal?

If you are convicted of a misdemeanor and you file a Notice of Appeal, you are entitled to remain free from custody after posting reasonable bail. Based on my experience as a Los Angeles criminal appeals attorney, I can tell you in advance that the appeals process is lengthy, and you will be allowed you to return to work, school and family in hopes that your conviction is reversed.

However, if convicted of a felony, it is up to the discretion of a trial court judge to determine whether or not you remain out of custody during the appeals process. If the judge believes that you are not a flight risk, meaning that you will not try to avoid prosecution by fleeing from the jurisdiction, and that you have a good chance of prevailing on your appeal then the judge may allow you to post reasonable bail to remain out of custody while your appeal is pending.

The criminal appeals attorneys at Wallin & Klarich - Stephen D. Klarich, Paul J. Wallin, and Matthew B. Wallin - answer the most common questions regarding Criminal Appeals in Los Angeles and Orange County.
If you have any questions regarding criminal appeals in California, call your criminal appeals attorneys at Wallin & Klarich today.

It is very unusual, however, for a judge to allow someone convicted of a felony to post bail during the criminal appeals process. For more details, see California Penal Code Section 1272.1.

2. What options do I have if the reviewing appellate court affirms my conviction?

If the Court of Appeals affirms your conviction, this means that they do not believe that you should be entitled to a new trial or that your sentence should be reduced. In this event, your criminal appeals attorney may petition for a rehearing within 15 days of the court’s decision.
If your Petition for Rehearing to the Court of Appeals fails, you can file a Petition for Review in the California Supreme Court within the 10 days after the Court of Appeals decision becomes final. If the California Supreme Court turns down your request you may still be able to pursue additional appellate remedies in the federal courts.

3. Is an appeal the same as getting a second trial?

No, it is very different. In an appeal, there is no jury, no witnesses, and no live testimony. When reviewing your case, the appellate courts look at the record that was produced at trial. The appeals process is based solely on written briefs and oral arguments that contend the trial court made a mistake on a particular matter that resulted in a wrongful conviction.

4. What happens in most cases if the court of appeals reverses the conviction of the accused?

When an appellate court decides to reverse the trial court, the case typically becomes “remanded.” This means the case is sent back to the trial court for further proceedings. In most cases, this means the defendant will receive a new trial or, if the witnesses can no longer be found, the prosecution can decide to dismiss the charges. Typically what occurs is the prosecutor, in order to avoid a new trial, will make a “plea bargain,” or an agreement, that is much more favorable to the accused than the sentence that had been previously imposed by the court.

Contact an experienced Los Angeles criminal appeals attorney today

Wallin & Klarich has over 30 years of experience aggressively representing clients facing all types of criminal charges in Southern California. If you or a loved one has been convicted of a crime in California, and you wish to file for an appeal, contact our experienced Los Angeles criminal appeals attorney. With offices in Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, Victorville, Ventura, West Covina and San Diego, our attorneys will provide you with the immediate assistance you need.

Call us today at 877-4-NO-JAIL. We will be there when you call.

Was This Article Helpful? Please Share it.

Contact Us

Get Help Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, now is the time to contact us.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Related Testimonials


    I would like to sincerely thank you for helping me with obtaining my Certificate of Rehabilitation. I now realize the importance of obtaining a law firm that has years of experience in criminal law. The way the package was organized and presented to the presiding judge was very impressive to me. The person that tried … Continue reading “Certificate of Rehabilitation and Governor’s Pardon Testimonials”

    View All

    My brother was convicted of second degree murder in Los Angeles County. He was sentenced to 16 years to life in state prison. I hired Stephen Klarich from the law firm of Wallin and Klarich to work on his appeal. Our family was very worried and fearful he would spend the rest of his life … Continue reading “PC 1237 | Appeals Testimonials”

    View All

    ARSON: “My husband and I received a shock recently when our son was arrested for starting a fire at a state park. But our shock turned into horror when he was charged with felony arson. We immediately hired the Law Firm of Wallin & Klarich. After a review of the evidence, Wallin & Klarich had … Continue reading “Client Testimonials: Arson”

    View All

Contact Us Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Get In Touch
Contact Info
17592 Irvine Blvd. Tustin, CA 92780 (714) 730-5300

Los Angeles County

Los Angeles | Long Beach | Glendale | Santa Clarita | Lancaster | Palmdale | Pomona | Torrance | Pasadena | West Covina | Carson | Santa Monica | Whittier | Lakewood | Redondo Beach | Arcadia | Diamond Bar | Glendora | Cerritos | La Mirada | Rancho Palos Verdes | Culver City | Manhattan Beach | Claremont | Beverly Hills | San Dimas | Walnut | Calabasas | Hermosa Beach | El Segundo | Palos Verdes Estates | Malibu

Orange County

Santa Ana | Anaheim | Irvine | Huntington Beach | Garden Grove | Orange | Fullerton | Costa Mesa | Mission Viejo | Westminster | Newport Beach | Buena Park | Lake Forest | Tustin | Yorba Linda | San Clemente | Laguna Niguel | La Habra | Fountain Valley | Anaheim Hills | Placentia | Rancho Santa Margarita | Aliso Viejo | Cypress | Brea | Stanton | San Juan Capistrano | Dana Point | Laguna Hills | North Tustin | Seal Beach | Ladera Ranch | Laguna Beach | Laguna Woods | La Palma | Coto de Caza | Los Alamitos | Rossmoor | Midway City | Las Flores | Villa Park

Riverside County

Riverside | Moreno Valley | Corona | Temecula | Murrieta | Jurupa Valley | Indio | Hemet | Menifee | Perris | Eastvale | Cathedral City | Palm Desert | Lake Elsinore | Palm Springs | La Quinta | Coachella | San Jacinto | Beaumont | Wildomar | Banning | Norco | Desert Hot Springs | Blythe | Rancho Mirage | Canyon Lake | Calimesa | Indian Wells

San Bernardino County

San Bernardino | Fontana | Rancho Cucamonga | Ontario | Victorville | Rialto | Hesperia | Chino | Chino Hills | Upland | Apple Valley | Redlands | Highland | Colton | Yucaipa | Montclair | Adelanto | Twentynine Palms | Loma Linda | Barstow | Yucca Valley | Grand Terrace | Big Bear Lake | Needles

San Diego

San Diego | Oceanside | Escondido | Carlsbad | Vista | San Marcos | Encinitas | Solana Beach | El Cajon | Santee | Poway | La Mesa | Del Mar


Oxnard | Thousand Oaks | Simi Valley | Ventura | Camarillo | Moorpark | Santa Paula | Port Hueneme | Fillmore | Ojai

Copyright © 2021 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved
California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.