35+ Years Criminal Defense Experience in California


California Vandalism Defense FAQs

1. Can I still be charged with vandalism even if the damage was not permanent?

Yes, damage does not need to be permanent to constitute vandalism under California Penal Code 594. For example, writing on a glass window with a marker pen was punishable defacement under the statute. See In re Nicholas Y. (2000) 85 Cal.App.4th 941, 944 [102 Cal.Rptr.2d 511].

2. Can I get my charge reduced?

It is important that you speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney. The attorney will first try to get the case dismissed. If the case cannot get dismissed, the attorney may be able to obtain a reduced charge. For vandalism, an attorney can help you get a felony vandalism charge reduced to a misdemeanor with lighter penalties.

3. Are there any alternatives to getting my driver’s license suspended?

A person who is convicted of vandalism may elect to reduce the period of suspension or delay imposed by the court by performing community service under the supervision of the probation department.

The period of suspension or delay ordered shall be reduced at the rate of one day for each hour of community service performed.

In addition, your attorney should seek a plea bargain agreement that does NOT include a suspended license.

4. Can I be charged with vandalism if the damaged property was owned by me and someone else?

Yes, it is considered vandalism if you are a co-owner of property and you damage/deface the property without the other co-owner’s consent.

5. Can the prosecution charge a misdemeanor even if the damage is over $400?

A prosecutor has wide latitude to charge a person with a misdemeanor vandalism even though the alleged damage is technically over $400 and a skilled attorney can try to convince the prosecutor that a misdemeanor charge is more appropriate.

6. Can I be charged with gang enhancements for tagging?

You can be charged with gang enhancements for tagging if the prosecution alleges that you were tagging for the benefit of a street gang and you were in fact a member of this gang.

7. Can I be charged with vandalism for breaking or destroying my own property?

If you share that property with someone else, then you can be charged with vandalism.

8. Can I lose my driver’s license for committing vandalism?

A judge can condition a term of your probation to include a driver’s license suspension of up to two years.  If you do not have a license then the court will order the DMV to delay issuing you a license for not less than one year nor more than three years once you become legally eligible to drive.

9. Can I be sentenced to jail for misdemeanor vandalism?

Even if you are charged with causing damage to personal property with a value of less than $400 you can be sentenced up to one year in county jail.

10. Can I lose my driver’s license for committing vandalism?

Yes, a judge can condition a term of your probation to include a driver’s license suspension of up to two years.  the court shall order the department to delay issuing the privilege to drive for not less than one year nor more than three years subsequent to the time the person becomes legally eligible to drive.

11. Does the penalty get worse if I have a prior conviction for vandalism?

If you have two prior convictions and were either incarcerated or granted probation in one of those cases then you must serve a jail or prison sentence in the current case.


Contact Criminal Defense Attorney Wallin & Klarich Today:

If you or a loved one has been charged with Vandalism in California, call the Grafitti Defense Attorney Wallin and Klarich today.

With offices in Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, San Diego, West Covina, Torrance, and Victorville, there is an experienced and skilled Wallin & Klarich criminal defense attorney available to help you no matter where you are located.

Contact our offices today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (714) 730-5300 for a free, no-obligation phone consultation. We will get through this together.

Was This Article Helpful? Please Share it.

Contact Us

Get Help Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, now is the time to contact us.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Related Testimonials


    I would like to sincerely thank you for helping me with obtaining my Certificate of Rehabilitation. I now realize the importance of obtaining a law firm that has years of experience in criminal law. The way the package was organized and presented to the presiding judge was very impressive to me. The person that tried … Continue reading “Certificate of Rehabilitation and Governor’s Pardon Testimonials”

    View All

    My brother was convicted of second degree murder in Los Angeles County. He was sentenced to 16 years to life in state prison. I hired Stephen Klarich from the law firm of Wallin and Klarich to work on his appeal. Our family was very worried and fearful he would spend the rest of his life … Continue reading “PC 1237 | Appeals Testimonials”

    View All

    ARSON: “My husband and I received a shock recently when our son was arrested for starting a fire at a state park. But our shock turned into horror when he was charged with felony arson. We immediately hired the Law Firm of Wallin & Klarich. After a review of the evidence, Wallin & Klarich had … Continue reading “Client Testimonials: Arson”

    View All

Contact Us Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Get In Touch
Contact Info
17592 Irvine Blvd. Tustin, CA 92780 (714) 730-5300

Los Angeles County

Los Angeles | Long Beach | Glendale | Santa Clarita | Lancaster | Palmdale | Pomona | Torrance | Pasadena | West Covina | Carson | Santa Monica | Whittier | Lakewood | Redondo Beach | Arcadia | Diamond Bar | Glendora | Cerritos | La Mirada | Rancho Palos Verdes | Culver City | Manhattan Beach | Claremont | Beverly Hills | San Dimas | Walnut | Calabasas | Hermosa Beach | El Segundo | Palos Verdes Estates | Malibu

Orange County

Santa Ana | Anaheim | Irvine | Huntington Beach | Garden Grove | Orange | Fullerton | Costa Mesa | Mission Viejo | Westminster | Newport Beach | Buena Park | Lake Forest | Tustin | Yorba Linda | San Clemente | Laguna Niguel | La Habra | Fountain Valley | Anaheim Hills | Placentia | Rancho Santa Margarita | Aliso Viejo | Cypress | Brea | Stanton | San Juan Capistrano | Dana Point | Laguna Hills | North Tustin | Seal Beach | Ladera Ranch | Laguna Beach | Laguna Woods | La Palma | Coto de Caza | Los Alamitos | Rossmoor | Midway City | Las Flores | Villa Park

Riverside County

Riverside | Moreno Valley | Corona | Temecula | Murrieta | Jurupa Valley | Indio | Hemet | Menifee | Perris | Eastvale | Cathedral City | Palm Desert | Lake Elsinore | Palm Springs | La Quinta | Coachella | San Jacinto | Beaumont | Wildomar | Banning | Norco | Desert Hot Springs | Blythe | Rancho Mirage | Canyon Lake | Calimesa | Indian Wells

San Bernardino County

San Bernardino | Fontana | Rancho Cucamonga | Ontario | Victorville | Rialto | Hesperia | Chino | Chino Hills | Upland | Apple Valley | Redlands | Highland | Colton | Yucaipa | Montclair | Adelanto | Twentynine Palms | Loma Linda | Barstow | Yucca Valley | Grand Terrace | Big Bear Lake | Needles

San Diego

San Diego | Oceanside | Escondido | Carlsbad | Vista | San Marcos | Encinitas | Solana Beach | El Cajon | Santee | Poway | La Mesa | Del Mar


Oxnard | Thousand Oaks | Simi Valley | Ventura | Camarillo | Moorpark | Santa Paula | Port Hueneme | Fillmore | Ojai

Copyright © 2021 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved
California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.