October 4, 2016 By Paul Wallin


The Point System and Your Driver’s License

Getting points is usually a good thing. In basketball, the team with the most points wins. The more points you score on an exam, the more likely you are to pass. Scoring points with your boss by working hard and producing results can earn you a raise.

However, one area of life where you want as few points as possible is on your driving record. The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) assesses points on your driving record if you commit certain driving violations. Racking up points on your record can lead to severe consequences, including higher insurance premiums, the suspension of your license, and the loss of your job.

How Do I Get Points on My License?

If you receive a ticket for a moving violation, you will have one or two points added to your record. You commit a “moving violation” if you violate a traffic law while your vehicle is in motion. Speeding is a moving violation, while a parking ticket is not and therefore would not add any points to your record.

Examples of one-point violations include:

  • Speeding (under 100 miles per hour)
  • Running a stop sign or red light
  • Making an unsafe lane change
  • Causing an accident for which you are determined to be at fault by the DMV

Two points are added to your recored for more severe violations. Examples of these include:

  • Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI)
  • Driving on the wrong side of the road
  • Driving while your license is suspended or revoked
  • Hit and run with property damage or bodily injury

How Many Points Can I Get Before a Suspension?

You are allowed to receive three points on your driving record in any 12-month period. If you are assessed a fourth point, your license will be suspended for up to six months. Your license can also be suspended if you receive six points in a 24-month period, or eight points in a 36-month period.

Should I Fight My Ticket?

When you are cited for a moving violation, it’s tempting to think that you should just pay the fine and move on with your life, but before you do that, consider this: You can pay your fine and go to traffic school to remove the point from your record. However, if you have done this in the previous 18 months or if you are a commercial driver, you cannot remove points with traffic school. That is why you may want to fight the ticket.

Additionally, you may start to feel the sting of the points on your record even before your license is suspended by the DMV. Your insurance company may decide to remove any discounts you have for being a safe driver, which will increase your premium. If your job involves driving a commercial vehicle, you could be suspended or fired from your job if you accumulate too many points.

That is why it is so important to speak with traffic ticket attorney who can help explain your options for fighting a ticket and help you determine whether you have a real chance at contesting the ticket. There is no additional penalty if you fight a ticket in court, so it is worth considering fighting to dismiss the fine and the points on your record.

Contact the Traffic Defense Attorneys at Wallin & Klarich Today

If you wish to fight your traffic ticket, it is best to hire an experienced attorney to represent you in court. At Wallin & Klarich, we have more than 40 years of experience successfully fighting traffic tickets for all types of moving violations. We can help you now.

With offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Victorville, West Covina, San Diego and Torrance, there is a Wallin & Klarich attorney experienced in traffic defense available near you no matter where you work or live.

Call us today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245 for a free phone consultation. We will get through this together.

AUTHOR: Paul Wallin

Paul Wallin is one of the most highly respected attorneys in Southern California. His vast experience, zealous advocacy for his clients and extensive knowledge of many areas of the law make Mr. Wallin a premiere Southern California attorney. Mr. Wallin founded Wallin & Klarich in 1981. As the senior partner of Wallin & Klarich, Mr. Wallin has been successfully representing clients for more than 30 years. Clients come to him for help in matters involving assault and battery, drug crimes, juvenile crimes, theft, manslaughter, sex offenses, murder, violent crimes, misdemeanors and felonies. Mr. Wallin also helps clients with family law matters such as divorce and child custody.

Practice area

  • Contact Us Now

    If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, now is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.