35+ Years Criminal Defense Experience in California


7 Things You Must Know About A Sentence Modification In California

Is Your Loved One In Need Of A Sentence Modification?

For over 30 years, the criminal defense attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have assisted thousands of clients in Southern California with their petitions for sentence modifications. If your loved one wishes to petition for a sentence modification, you should contact us now for immediate help. Our criminal defense attorneys will be with you when you call.

Is any “third strike” conviction automatically eligible for re-sentencing as a result of the passage of Proposition 36?

No. There are only certain third strike convictions that are eligible for re-sentencing under the changes in the law. More importantly, a prisoner or his/her criminal defense attorney must petition a judge for a sentence reduction. Automatic appeals are only granted in death penalty and life without the possibility of parole (“LWOP”) cases.

How can I get my conviction expunged once I’ve been discharged from probation?

A dismissal of your conviction is not automatic once you’ve successfully completed probation. You must petition the court for a certificate of rehabilitation, pardon, or dismissal. See California Penal Code Section 1203.4. A criminal defense attorney can help you prepare the petition and ensure the best possible result.

Can I file a Writ of Habeas Corpus to challenge my sentence, and/or my conditions of probation or parole?

Yes. However, in most cases, you must exhaust “administrative remedies” prior to initiating habeas corpus petitions in a court of law. It is very important to have an experienced criminal defense lawyer to do this for you, as these types of appeals are very complex.

Can the defendant’s illness cause the court to recall its initial sentence?

Yes. Under California Penal Code Section 1170(e), the court can recall its sentence if the defendant is terminally ill with an incurable condition that would result in death within six months or if the defendant is permanently and medically incapacitated. As long as there is no threat to public safety, the court will have the discretion to recall the sentence.

Can the court re-sentence me to a greater sentence if the judge makes a mistake and sentences me incorrectly to a lesser one?

Yes. This is what is known as correcting an illegal sentence; the court always retains jurisdiction to correct itself, even if it results in a greater sentence.

What happens if I violate the terms of my probation?

If there is cause to believe that you have violated the terms of your probation, your probation officer may re-arrest you or the court may use its discretion to issue a warrant for your arrest. Once you are brought before the court, the judge may choose from all the initially available sentencing options. However, the court also has the discretion allow you to continue probation on the same or modified terms.

Speak to Wallin & Klarich today if you wish to request a sentence modification 

Wallin & Klarich
Our team of attorneys will be your side every step of the way.

Conviction and imposition of a sentence are not necessarily the final disposition in a criminal matter. The circumstances of your case may entitle you to a shorter prison or jail sentence or more lenient probation or parole conditions.

With offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, Victorville, West Covina, Pasadena, Sherman Oaks, Torrance, San Diego, Hemet, and Temecula, our attorneys have over 30 years of experience in making sure that our clients are treated fairly under the law and that they receive the best legal representation through every step of the process.

Call today at (877) 466-5245 for a free consultation. We will be there when you call.

Was This Article Helpful? Please Share it.

Contact Us

Get Help Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, now is the time to contact us.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Related Testimonials


    I would like to sincerely thank you for helping me with obtaining my Certificate of Rehabilitation. I now realize the importance of obtaining a law firm that has years of experience in criminal law. The way the package was organized and presented to the presiding judge was very impressive to me. The person that tried … Continue reading “Certificate of Rehabilitation and Governor’s Pardon Testimonials”

    View All

    My brother was convicted of second degree murder in Los Angeles County. He was sentenced to 16 years to life in state prison. I hired Stephen Klarich from the law firm of Wallin and Klarich to work on his appeal. Our family was very worried and fearful he would spend the rest of his life … Continue reading “PC 1237 | Appeals Testimonials”

    View All

    ARSON: “My husband and I received a shock recently when our son was arrested for starting a fire at a state park. But our shock turned into horror when he was charged with felony arson. We immediately hired the Law Firm of Wallin & Klarich. After a review of the evidence, Wallin & Klarich had … Continue reading “Client Testimonials: Arson”

    View All

Contact Us Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Get In Touch
Contact Info
17592 Irvine Blvd. Tustin, CA 92780 (714) 730-5300

Los Angeles County

Los Angeles | Long Beach | Glendale | Santa Clarita | Lancaster | Palmdale | Pomona | Torrance | Pasadena | West Covina | Carson | Santa Monica | Whittier | Lakewood | Redondo Beach | Arcadia | Diamond Bar | Glendora | Cerritos | La Mirada | Rancho Palos Verdes | Culver City | Manhattan Beach | Claremont | Beverly Hills | San Dimas | Walnut | Calabasas | Hermosa Beach | El Segundo | Palos Verdes Estates | Malibu

Orange County

Santa Ana | Anaheim | Irvine | Huntington Beach | Garden Grove | Orange | Fullerton | Costa Mesa | Mission Viejo | Westminster | Newport Beach | Buena Park | Lake Forest | Tustin | Yorba Linda | San Clemente | Laguna Niguel | La Habra | Fountain Valley | Anaheim Hills | Placentia | Rancho Santa Margarita | Aliso Viejo | Cypress | Brea | Stanton | San Juan Capistrano | Dana Point | Laguna Hills | North Tustin | Seal Beach | Ladera Ranch | Laguna Beach | Laguna Woods | La Palma | Coto de Caza | Los Alamitos | Rossmoor | Midway City | Las Flores | Villa Park

Riverside County

Riverside | Moreno Valley | Corona | Temecula | Murrieta | Jurupa Valley | Indio | Hemet | Menifee | Perris | Eastvale | Cathedral City | Palm Desert | Lake Elsinore | Palm Springs | La Quinta | Coachella | San Jacinto | Beaumont | Wildomar | Banning | Norco | Desert Hot Springs | Blythe | Rancho Mirage | Canyon Lake | Calimesa | Indian Wells

San Bernardino County

San Bernardino | Fontana | Rancho Cucamonga | Ontario | Victorville | Rialto | Hesperia | Chino | Chino Hills | Upland | Apple Valley | Redlands | Highland | Colton | Yucaipa | Montclair | Adelanto | Twentynine Palms | Loma Linda | Barstow | Yucca Valley | Grand Terrace | Big Bear Lake | Needles

San Diego

San Diego | Oceanside | Escondido | Carlsbad | Vista | San Marcos | Encinitas | Solana Beach | El Cajon | Santee | Poway | La Mesa | Del Mar


Oxnard | Thousand Oaks | Simi Valley | Ventura | Camarillo | Moorpark | Santa Paula | Port Hueneme | Fillmore | Ojai

Copyright © 2021 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved
California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.