35+ Years Criminal Defense Experience in California


Under What Circumstances will the Judge Modify My Sentence?

The Judge Will Modify Your Sentence Under Four Circumstances

The judge that sentenced you has the power to modify your prison terms for a variety of reasons outlined below:

1. Will the judge modify my sentence due to an error in the sentence?

sentence modification by a California judge
A judge may in fact modify your sentence if their was a clerical error.

Yes. A court generally maintains power to correct an incorrect sentence. This means that if the sentence was brought about by a clerical error, the court can simply amend the abstract of judgment to reflect the correct sentence.

Thus, if a person was orally sentenced to 2 years, and the clerk erroneously entered 20 years into the minutes, the court will amend the abstract of judgment to reflect the correct sentence.

2. Will the judge modify an illegal sentence?

Absolutely. If the court pronounces an illegal sentence — or a sentence which, by law, it had no power to grant — then the court always retains jurisdiction to correct itself and legally sentence the defendant, even if it results in a greater sentence.

Thus, if the court sentenced defendant to probation, when the law clearly states that probation is not available for that particular crime, then the court may re-sentence the defendant to a sentence authorized by law. Clerical errors often result in illegal sentences, but other times the court is mistaken as to its legal sentencing discretion and may sentence a defendant to a punishment not authorized by law.

3. Judicial error

If the court sentences a defendant pursuant to a judicial error, then the sentence generally cannot be modified. At this point, a specified statutory procedure is required unless the defendant has not begun serving his or her sentence.

For example, at sentencing, if the court fails to consider a fact reflected in the record that it could have used to enhance the sentence (i.e., such as the fact of a prior conviction), then the un-enhanced sentence is valid and the court is deemed to have used its sound discretion to strike the enhancement.

It does not matter that if the court had considered the prior conviction, it would have enhanced the sentence. As long as the court had the power to strike the enhancement, the court is deemed to have stricken the enhancement. This is a judicial error and it cannot be amended except through a specific statutory procedure or if the defendant has not yet started serving his or her sentence.

4. Recalling the Sentence (PC 1170(h))

Will the court recall my sentence?
It is important to know that recalling a sentence is different from correcting a sentence.

Under Penal Code 1170(h), a court may also recall a sentence within 120 days of the pronouncement of the sentence.

A recall is different from a correction because a recall means that original sentence was valid and legally correct, but the court may have changed its mind and wishes to reconsider the circumstances.

The court will then pronounce a new sentence. It is important to note that this new sentence cannot be longer than the original sentence.

Why do you need a California criminal defense attorney to represent you in a sentence modification?

Conviction and imposition of a sentence are not necessarily the final disposition in a criminal matter. The circumstances of your case may entitle you to a shorter jail sentence or more lenient probation conditions. At Wallin & Klarich, our skilled and professional attorneys can help you to modify your sentence and ensure that your rights are protected.

With offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, Victorville, West Covina, Pasadena, Sherman Oaks, Torrance, San Diego, Hemet, and Temecula, our attorneys have over 30 years of experience in making sure that our clients are treated fairly under the law and that they receive the best legal representation through every step of the process.

Call today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245 for a free consultation. We will be there when you call.

Was This Article Helpful? Please Share it.

Contact Us

Get Help Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, now is the time to contact us.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Related Testimonials


    I would like to sincerely thank you for helping me with obtaining my Certificate of Rehabilitation. I now realize the importance of obtaining a law firm that has years of experience in criminal law. The way the package was organized and presented to the presiding judge was very impressive to me. The person that tried … Continue reading “Certificate of Rehabilitation and Governor’s Pardon Testimonials”

    View All

    My brother was convicted of second degree murder in Los Angeles County. He was sentenced to 16 years to life in state prison. I hired Stephen Klarich from the law firm of Wallin and Klarich to work on his appeal. Our family was very worried and fearful he would spend the rest of his life … Continue reading “PC 1237 | Appeals Testimonials”

    View All

    ARSON: “My husband and I received a shock recently when our son was arrested for starting a fire at a state park. But our shock turned into horror when he was charged with felony arson. We immediately hired the Law Firm of Wallin & Klarich. After a review of the evidence, Wallin & Klarich had … Continue reading “Client Testimonials: Arson”

    View All

Contact Us Now

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Get In Touch
Contact Info
17592 Irvine Blvd. Tustin, CA 92780 (714) 730-5300

Los Angeles County

Los Angeles | Long Beach | Glendale | Santa Clarita | Lancaster | Palmdale | Pomona | Torrance | Pasadena | West Covina | Carson | Santa Monica | Whittier | Lakewood | Redondo Beach | Arcadia | Diamond Bar | Glendora | Cerritos | La Mirada | Rancho Palos Verdes | Culver City | Manhattan Beach | Claremont | Beverly Hills | San Dimas | Walnut | Calabasas | Hermosa Beach | El Segundo | Palos Verdes Estates | Malibu

Orange County

Santa Ana | Anaheim | Irvine | Huntington Beach | Garden Grove | Orange | Fullerton | Costa Mesa | Mission Viejo | Westminster | Newport Beach | Buena Park | Lake Forest | Tustin | Yorba Linda | San Clemente | Laguna Niguel | La Habra | Fountain Valley | Anaheim Hills | Placentia | Rancho Santa Margarita | Aliso Viejo | Cypress | Brea | Stanton | San Juan Capistrano | Dana Point | Laguna Hills | North Tustin | Seal Beach | Ladera Ranch | Laguna Beach | Laguna Woods | La Palma | Coto de Caza | Los Alamitos | Rossmoor | Midway City | Las Flores | Villa Park

Riverside County

Riverside | Moreno Valley | Corona | Temecula | Murrieta | Jurupa Valley | Indio | Hemet | Menifee | Perris | Eastvale | Cathedral City | Palm Desert | Lake Elsinore | Palm Springs | La Quinta | Coachella | San Jacinto | Beaumont | Wildomar | Banning | Norco | Desert Hot Springs | Blythe | Rancho Mirage | Canyon Lake | Calimesa | Indian Wells

San Bernardino County

San Bernardino | Fontana | Rancho Cucamonga | Ontario | Victorville | Rialto | Hesperia | Chino | Chino Hills | Upland | Apple Valley | Redlands | Highland | Colton | Yucaipa | Montclair | Adelanto | Twentynine Palms | Loma Linda | Barstow | Yucca Valley | Grand Terrace | Big Bear Lake | Needles

San Diego

San Diego | Oceanside | Escondido | Carlsbad | Vista | San Marcos | Encinitas | Solana Beach | El Cajon | Santee | Poway | La Mesa | Del Mar


Oxnard | Thousand Oaks | Simi Valley | Ventura | Camarillo | Moorpark | Santa Paula | Port Hueneme | Fillmore | Ojai

Copyright © 2021 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved
California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.