January 17, 2018 By Stephen Klarich

Serving a sentence for a criminal conviction is frequently referred to as “repaying your debt to society.” However, repaying a debt implies that once the debt is paid, the debtor’s life returns to normal as if the debt never existed. This is not the case if you are convicted of a crime. Your conviction will continue to interfere with your life long after you have completed your sentence.

How do you stop the negative consequences of your criminal conviction? You should speak to an experienced criminal defense attorney to find out if you’re eligible to petition the court for a Certificate of Rehabilitation.

What is a Certificate of Rehabilitation? (PC 4852)

A Certificate of Rehabilitation is a court order declaring that you have been a good person who has learned from your mistakes since the time you were convicted of a crime. Under PC 4852.05, a Certificate of Rehabilitation states that you have lived “an honest and upright life,” conducted yourself “with sobriety and industry,” exhibited “good moral character,” and obeyed the law since your release.

So what benefits does obtaining a Certificate of Rehabilitation have for you?

What Can a Certificate of Rehabilitation Do for Me?

There are a few direct benefits that obtaining a Certificate of Rehabilitation will have. Those benefits are:

  • You can no longer be automatically denied when applying for a professional state license
  • It could end your requirement to register as a sex offender for certain crimes under PC 290
  • Having your Certificate of Rehabilitation granted serves as an automatic application for a Governor’s Pardon

It is important to note that a Certificate of Rehabilitation does not “clear” your criminal record. If you obtain a Certificate of Rehabilitation, your conviction will still show up on background checks and you will still be required to disclose your criminal history to potential employers. However, you will be able to tell prospective employers that you have been rehabilitated since committing a crime and that the court recognizes you have exhibited good moral character.

Are You Eligible for a Certificate of Rehabilitation?

To be eligible for a Certificate of Rehabilitation, you must have resided in California for at least five years and have waited a “satisfactory period of rehabilitation” since being convicted. The satisfactory period differs based upon the type of crime you were convicted of. You should speak to an experienced post-conviction relief attorney at Wallin & Klarich today to find out if you’re eligible to apply for a Certificate of Rehabilitation.

At Wallin & Klarich, our lawyers have more than 40 years of experience helping clients obtain post-conviction relief. Don’t let the negative effects of your conviction continue to impact your life. Let us help you now.

With offices in Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, San Diego, West Covina, Torrance and Victorville, there is an experienced Wallin & Klarich post-conviction relief attorney available to help you no matter where you are located.

Contact our offices today at (877) 466-5245 for a free, no-obligation phone consultation. We will be there when you call.

AUTHOR: Stephen Klarich

Stephen Klarich is a partner at Wallin & Klarich and expert in the field of sex crimes. For over thirty years, Stephen Klarich has been handling criminal cases and matters involving sex offenses. With an unparalleled knowledge of sex crimes defense, Stephen Klarich protects his clients’ rights. Stephen Klarich has experienced significant success in obtaining a Certificate of Rehabilitation or Governor’s Pardon for his clients. Thousands of clients have put their trust in Stephen Klarich and the attorneys at Wallin & Klarich in their time of legal need.

SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.