January 29, 2018 By Paul Wallin

How a Certificate of Rehabilitation Could Help You Clean Your Record (PC 4852)

If you have been convicted of a crime, your conviction is likely to have a negative impact on your life. Having a criminal record could affect your ability to obtain employment, state licenses, and/or college education. However, it is not too late to do something about it.

There are legal steps you can take to reduce the effects of having a criminal record. One of those legal avenues is to obtain a Certificate of Rehabilitation. You should speak to an attorney today about petitioning the court for a Certificate of Rehabilitation.

What Does a Certificate of Rehabilitation Do? (PC 4852)

A Certificate of Rehabilitation is a court order declaring that you have been a law-abiding, upstanding citizen since you were convicted of a crime. It is an official document issued by a judge showing that you have been rehabilitated.

Under California Penal Code Section 4852, being granted a Certificate of Rehabilitation will provide you with the following benefits:

  • State licensing boards such as the state bar will not be able to automatically deny you a professional license due to your conviction
  • Your requirement to register a sex offender under PC 290 could be eliminated depending on the sex offense you were convicted of
  • A Certificate of Rehabilitation serves as an automatic application for a Governor’s Pardon

In addition, being able to show potential employers an official court document that shows you have been rehabilitated could open up more job opportunities for you.

However, it is important to note that a Certificate of Rehabilitation does not erase your criminal record.

What a Certificate of Rehabilitation Doesn’t Do

A Certificate of Rehabilitation does not “clear” your criminal record. Your conviction will still show up on criminal background checks, so you will have to tell prospective employers that you have been convicted of a crime if they ask.

Additionally, your past conviction will still be considered a prior conviction if you are charged with a new offense at a later time despite the fact that you were granted a Certificate of Rehabilitation.

You should speak to an experienced post-conviction relief attorney about additional methods for cleaning your criminal record.

How to Obtain a Certificate of Rehabilitation

To have your best chance to obtain a Certificate of Rehabilitation, you should seek the help of a skilled lawyer who has experience handling these types of matters. At Wallin & Klarich, our attorneys have been able to submit successful Certificate of Rehabilitation petitions by including the following:

  • The Certificate of Rehabilitation questionnaire
  • A psychological evaluation report from a highly-respected doctor
  • Letters from peers about your personal character and reputation
  • Awards, personal achievements and other items that show your good character

Contact the Certificate of Rehabilitation Attorneys at Wallin & Klarich Today

Our law firm has been helping clients successfully obtain post-conviction relief for more than 40 years. If you are seeking a Certificate of Rehabilitation, you should not hesitate to contact Wallin & Klarich today.

With offices in Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, Victorville, West Covina, Torrance, Los Angeles and San Diego, you can find an experienced Wallin & Klarich Certificate of Rehabilitation attorney available near you no matter where you are located.

Call our office today (877) 466-5245 for a free phone consultation. We will be there when you call.

AUTHOR: Paul Wallin

Paul Wallin is one of the most highly respected attorneys in Southern California. His vast experience, zealous advocacy for his clients and extensive knowledge of many areas of the law make Mr. Wallin a premiere Southern California attorney. Mr. Wallin founded Wallin & Klarich in 1981. As the senior partner of Wallin & Klarich, Mr. Wallin has been successfully representing clients for more than 30 years. Clients come to him for help in matters involving assault and battery, drug crimes, juvenile crimes, theft, manslaughter, sex offenses, murder, violent crimes, misdemeanors and felonies. Mr. Wallin also helps clients with family law matters such as divorce and child custody.

Practice area

  • Contact Us Now

    If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, now is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.