California Criminal Defense Blog

If a warrant is issued against you, it means that you could placed under arrest at any time. Your name goes into a nationwide database. If you are stopped by law enforcement or police officers run your license plate number, you will likely be placed in custody.

So what can you do if a warrant is issued against you? Our experienced criminal defense attorneys explain what you need to know about warrants.

Why was a Warrant Issued Against Me?

A warrant against you can be issued for many reasons. For example:

  • You were given a citation by law enforcement for allegedly committing a crime.  You were released with a ticket to appear on a certain date and time, but you did not show up.
  • You were investigated by law enforcement for a crime but they never contacted you.  The law enforcement agency that did the investigation submits it to the district attorney’s office, where they then decide to file a case. A letter was sent to your address ordering you to appear in court on a certain time and date, but you did not show.
  • Law enforcement is investigating you for a crime. The law enforcement officers can bypass the district attorney’s office and take their evidence directly to a judge. The judge signs the warrant based on probable cause. You now have a warrant out for your arrest. In this scenario, law enforcement will find you and place you under arrest.
  • You were placed on probation after being convicted of a crime or plead guilty to criminal charges. At sentencing you were ordered to complete some program or class, or pay fines. If you failed to take the proper actions, a judge can issue a warrant against you.

Misdemeanor vs. Felony Warrants

warrant attorney

A warrant attorney may be able to have your warrant recalled.

If a warrant was issued for a misdemeanor case, a skilled criminal defense lawyer can appear for you in court and attempt to recall the warrant. Under California Penal Code Section 977(a), you do not have to be present. However, domestic violence cases and DUIs are exceptions.

If a warrant was issued on a felony case, you will need to appear in court with your experienced warrant attorney and will have to be ready to post the bail amount that was set when the warrant was issued.  If you do not, you will be taken into custody and will remain in custody until your case is resolved.

Call a Criminal Defense Attorney to Have Your Warrant Recalled

If a warrant is issued against you, you need to act immediately or you will be arrested. An experienced criminal defense attorney may be able to have your warrant recalled and help you fight the allegations against you. At Wallin & Klarich, our skilled lawyers have helped thousands of clients with warrant issues over the past 30 years. We can help you now.

With offices in Los Angeles, Riverside, Orange County, San Diego, Torrance, West Covina, Sherman Oaks, San Bernardino and Victorville, our experienced warrant attorneys are available to help you no matter where you work or live.

Call our offices today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245 so we can begin working on your case. We will be there when you call.

I Am Accused of Assault with a Deadly Weapon in San Bernardino (PC 245)

Self defense is a defense to charges of assault with a deadly weapon in San Bernardino.
Under Penal Code section 245(a), assault with a deadly weapon charges can have serious consequences. If you are accused of assault with a deadly weapon in San Bernardino, you need the help of an experienced law firm that can help you obtain the best possible result in your ca… Continue Reading.......

I Am Being Accused of Violating a Restraining Order – PC 273.6

A restraining order is a court order that forbids you from contacting any individual protected under the order and from visiting a specified location. In criminal law cases, restraining orders are typically issued to protect a victim of physical violence or threats of harm. California severely punishes the violation of a restraining order. If you face a r… Continue Reading.......

How to Avoid Criminal Charges on Fantasy Sports Sites

Your bets on DraftKings could lead to criminal charges.
For many Americans, Sundays are special days. Not only is it a day of worship for many different faiths, but it also involves a couch, a TV, and the National Football League. With the rise of fantasy sports, a day of watching football is not just a way to relax, but it is also a way to make money. Billions of dol… Continue Reading.......

Punishment for Felony Offenders Charged with Assault with a Deadly Weapon in Riverside (PC 245)

Assault with a deadly weapon is a serious crime in California, and you can expect to face harsh consequences if you are accused of this crime. In Riverside, the courts and judges are particularly harsh on felony offenders, so you will want to hire an experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney immediately if you are being charged with assault… Continue Reading.......

What is a lewd and lascivious act on a child? – California Penal Code Section 288

In California, it is a crime for any person to commit a lewd act on a child.  Specifically, Penal Code Section 288 prohibits a person from willfully committing any lewd or lascivious act upon or with the body of a minor with the intent of arousing, appealing to, or gratifying the lust, passions, or sexual desires of that person or the child.  In simple English… Continue Reading.......

3 Defenses An Attorney Can Use If You Are Facing Vandalism Charges In Orange County – California Penal Code 594

What you think is a harmless prank could actually result in serious criminal charges against you. It’s Halloween and you decided to egg your friend’s house as a joke. This is harmless, right? You and your college roommate prank a rival university by removing parts of the founder’s statue and spray painting in your school’s colors… Continue Reading.......